The first available sewer plans for the Minden-Gardnerville area date back to October 1921.
The Minden Gardnerville Sanitation District was formed as a 318 District as part of the Clean Water Act of 1964, with the original plant constructed in 1966-67 at an initial cost of $400,000.
The land for the facility was donated by Graham Sanford of the Dangberg Company at a location that was at the time, located several miles out of town. This location in a low spot of the valley is beneficial to facilitate gravity flow of the sewage to the plant without the use of costly lift stations which can incur tremendous maintenance costs.
One of the first major expansions of the District occurred in 1977 at a cost of $2.6 million. Since the mid-eighties, the District has undergone expansion of the facilities every 2 - 3 years at an average cost of $2 - 3 millions dollars to accommodate the growth within the District. In the spring of 2011, MGSD commissioned it's state of the art
Grease Receiving Station/Co-Generation system. The co-generation system, which utilizes brown waste grease from restaurants and other food preparation establishments, in it's first 4 months of operation, realized a savings in utility costs of nearly 55%. At a cost of $1.4 million, with the economical benefits, the projects payback time is projected at 7 years.
the District entered into an agreement to accept effluent from the Gardnerville Ranchos GID.
With nearly 60 miles of lines
within the District, MGSD has implemented an ongoing line cleaning and televising program to determine the necessary rehabilitation needs of the collections system.
MGSD treatment processes consists of biological treatment in which bacteria and other organisms break down the waste. Also employed, is the use of beneficial land application uses of effluent and bio-solids. Click here to see our treatment process.